APPOINTMENT OF BAALES IN ZION AND APOSTLES COMMUNITIES IN ILAJELAND: WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE? AMB. S. OLA AJIMISAN


My post on the appointment of "baales" zion communities and other littoral communities founded on the creed and doctrine of the apostles seemed to be my most debated or controversial post in this second half of the year. I made the post sequel to the unfolding humpty-dumpty and traditional rumbles that had taken the fore stage of our quotidian existence, or perhaps, I should say, subsistence. You will agree with me that this alien practice is peculiar to Ilaje land. Albeit, this peculiarity is incontrovertibly our beauty and strength. I believe in heterogeneity, diversity and I also believe that the colourful costume of the chameleon makes it the most adaptive and creative beast in the universe.

Permit me to say that "I bear no heart mercuric, to dare exercabation..."; in Soyinka's words. I am not man enough to insult or harbour skirmishes against senior citizen of Ilajeland or the traditional rulers of the land. For clarity's sake, I am an heir presumptive to the highly revered throne of Etikan through paternal affinity. My mother was born to Aganganjigan Omabuwa Ruling House of Mahin Land; paternal grandmother, Princess Lydia Oyedele Ajimisan (nee Iyaomolere) was a to Oba Maclean Iyaomolere; one of my maternal grandparents was from Sepeluwa dynasty of Ugbo Land and of them was also from Oyetola in Aheri Land. It suffices, therefore, to conclude that I belong all Kingdoms in Ilajeland. My post has nothing to do with political humpty-dumpty in Ugboland or elsewhere in Ilajeland.

The highly revered Olugbo is a to all and deserves unpretentious reverence befiting a mortal being. We share Oghonne ascendancy in common. Back to Zion issue! All zion/apostles communities in Ilajeland were founded by princes of each of the four first class kingdoms and I dare say that they dare not challenge the paramountcy of their hosts. It is a gratuitous insult to do so! Let me not belabor you with needless verbosity and rhetorics. I have the following suggestions to make in good faith, believing that it will help in solving the problem:

1. Embargo on the use of beaded crowns by zion/ apostles communities' leaders.

2. All KOZ/ Apostles leaders should respect limits avoid transgressing trado-cultural borders.

3. Our traditional rulers should carry these religious leaders along in the quotidian running of the kingdom. During any traditional confabulation, traditional rulers should adequately inform these religious leaders to attend as representatives of the Traditional rulers in their communities.

4. Where a Zion/apostles community leader absents himself from Traditional Council Meeting (Upade Oja) for three consecutive times without sending proxies, he shall be summoned for questioning and if he continues, let the Traditional Ruler sanction him within godly and constitutional limits. This is because, it is better to go to the law than to go to war.

5. Where the "supposedly holier-than-thou" king of Zion or apostles leaders becomes obstinate towards the traditional ruler, I recommend tactful cum tactical dismantling of disloyal structure as sanction. There will be no need to pronounce an individual a baale in such Community but the Traditional Ruler shall sideline such king of Zion or apostles leaders in all good things. Where all these fails, then shall the traditional ruler of the kingdom sue the tenants (religious leaders) for challenging the lordship of his landlord. Something like happened in Etikan Kingdom in the early 1970s. The last recommendation was resorted to and on June 26, 1972, Justice Ayela settled the matter in favour of the then Olikan of Etikan, Oba Claudius Morioloye O. Ikuesan with fines of €21 slammed on him for challenging the lordship of his landlord. Justice was done without bloodshed. I have a copy of the said judgement with for private sharing. Going to appoint a baale in Ayetoro, for instance will escalate into war and bloodshed. If you appoint a baale in Ayetoro, who is in charge? The Ogeleyinbo or the baale? We can resolve this issue without bloodshed. I am an ignorant man and I count it as unpardonable impudence to advise either the highly revered Olugbo Amapetu, Maporure or Olikan. Who am I to advise the second in command to Orisas and Ugbarunmales(two hundred pantheons)?

Comments